[OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement

Subject: [OM] Re: Photographic Documentation of a Farm Implement
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
> >http://www.image66media.com
> >
> >Go to the Gallery, select Farm Implement - Photo
> Documentation.
>
> Number 21 has a lot of lines and curves to work with. There is
> even a grease fitting to quench this things thirst. I could
> see working this shot for some more angles. Some B&W might
> also be interesting.

I've been playing around with converting it to B&W and to me it
actually doesn't work.  I'm liking the color version better. The
paint color is so much of the composition.  Maybe it's because
my vision is tainted.  I'll give it a year or so and revisit it.

> 35 is more than converging lines, but the feeling of being
> inside this thing adds some intimacy.

I thought about that later. This was one of those times where
you can't have enough wide-angle.

> 30 is down right disgusti'n.

LOL. I'm still trying to figure out why I took that photograph.

> I see you decided not to farm the photographs, per comment on
> 10.

Usually I don't unless the distraction is obviously out of
place. I made the decision to leave it. It would be like trying
to remove the saxaphone player from the subway--it would remove
a distraction but you would KNOW something is missing.

> Oh, and 13, better than 14.

A square crop on 13 might be in order.

> Overall, though, I like 18 the best. And I'm not sure why, I
> just like looking at it. Something about the lower belt
> suspended in air. It is one of the few where the DOF seems to
> add a dimension and movement. Often, I have a hard time
> understanding the artistic merit of shallow DOF, other than to
> isolate and simplify. Here, it seems to actually enhance. It
> is also interesting you put the plane of focus toward the
> beginning, rather than the middle, but also catching the
> bottom of the pulley. Even the grass is not a distraction.
> There are a number of other photos with interesting
> possibilities but this one also feels the least contrived or
> forced, like it is coming less from the rational thinking
> brain. Like things just came together, more so than trying
> to make it artistic could have. I'm I making any sense? That
> is, I can sit here and rationalize all the things I like about
> it, but on first glance, there is a part of my mind that just
> knows this works without having to force it or figure it out
> in the moment. Instead everything just flows together
> naturally. Intuitive knowing.

Very good comments. Thank you.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com