[OM] Re: Another kitchen

Subject: [OM] Re: Another kitchen
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:22:41 -0700
Mike wrote:
> .......... As far as white point
> goes I'm not even sure what it should be set at so don't mess with it
> much. I use the VueScan setting for auto levels rather than white point.
> I must read up on that.
I generally use the Neutral setting. The Auto setting has to make an
assumption about the subject, that it has a mix of colors roughly equal
to a sunlit outdoor natural scene. Neutral simply spreads the raw output
of the scanning sensor over the range defined by the black and white
points, without doing anything to the color.

The problem with Auto Color can be seen really clearly where the image
is primarily one color
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Greendoor.htm>. This is from
the Auto Color function in PS, not VueScan, as I didn't have any such
examples at hand. The specific effect will depend on the particular
implementation. However the problem is the same.

Of course, this is an extreme example, but it clearly shows why Auto
Color can cause unnatural color in situations like you have, indoor
shots in mixed lighting with predominance of a couple of colors.

Moose