[OM] Auto White Balance in scanning [was Another kitchen]

Subject: [OM] Auto White Balance in scanning [was Another kitchen]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:29:03 -0700
Further to my prior post. I got curious about the actual effect of Auto White
Balance in scanning with VueScan.

It turns out the effect is less than that of Auto Color Balance in PS, but
still considerable. Further, the effect depends on other settings on the Color
Tab.

I hope this is self explanatory. This is a favorite shot of mine, so first I
show it straightened, cropped, sharpened, etc.

It's a particularly good sample for this, being so strongly full of one color,
just the thing to show what happens when "White Balance Goes Bad!"

All images processed from one RAW scan using VueScan with a Can*n FS4000
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/WBalance/9-641_25wb.htm>.

The thing to remember is that this effect, mostly in much more subtle form, can
throw off the color balance of almost any shot that isn't a "normal" mix of
colors in middle of the day sunlight.

Moose