[OM] Re: OT: Places to eat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Places to eat
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:31:49 -0600
At 07:19 PM 21/04/2006, Johnny Johnson wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>We're leaving Sunday on an extended trip to the southwest
>(USA).  We'll be spending some time in Colorado and New Mexico and a
>lot of time in Utah and Arizona.  I've researched the places that I
>intend to visit and photograph but was wondering if any list members
>have some favorite eating places that they'd recommend.

If you get anywhere near Santa Fe, "Cowgirls" is a great feed (best
barbeque I've had in the States so far, but then, I've not been in
the States a lot in recent years).  I really liked "Old Mexico Grill"
(5 stars in Zagat's, but priced like a two-star), but it's history
now -- and nobody seems to know what happened to it!

My "in general" recommendation is to ask the locals as much as
possible -- many are tickled pink to have their opinions solicited,
and especially in smaller towns, their ideas were the best I and my
traveling companions got.

My *other* "in general" recommendation is to take a laptop with you
(if you have one) and use dial-up to log into the Expedia site to
find lodgings.  When I was last in the Southwest in 2002, we did
precisely this, logging into Expedia.ca everyday and looking for
bargain accommodations on the route ahead.  Most expensive place we
ended up staying was $89.00/night (where the rack rate was
$300.00/night), and the average price was a measly $58.00/night.  We
saved enough on the lodging to really try some restaurants that were
normally out of our price range.  ;-)

Garth