[OM] Re: OT: Places to eat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Places to eat
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:36:49 -0700
I will add my two cents for the Thunderbird Lodge. It is really the
only act in town. It is also the place to stay at Canyon de Chelly or
to catch a tour. The tours with a local guide are highly recommended
over just driving the loop. You see a lot more and get more photo
opportunities.  I ate a couple of meals there and while it was not
fancy, it looked and tasted like it had come out of someone's home.
Plain and simple food, but tasty. The diné (Navaho) dishes were a plus.

Can't help in other places and have never discovered how to reliably
find a good place to eat in those areas, if you like food. Any
restaurant, even an ethnic one, usually accommodates the local
tastes. My brother and his wife took me once to a hugely popular
Mexican restaurant in Grand Junction that I thought was terrible with
no ethnic taste left in it all. Maybe the answer is to look for
something small and ethnic. Other than that you are usually stuck
with the big, most popular steak house.

If you drive through Tuba City on the Navaho reservation there is a
big barn of restaurant on the main road. I don't remember the name,
but there were signs as I remember. It is huge inside and at lunch it
was filled with what seemed like scores of people eating before going
back to work. The food was passable as I remember, but It was quite
an experience any way. More people inside it than I had seen in a
couple of days of driving.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA