[OM] Re: OT: Places to eat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Places to eat
From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:46:54 -0400
Johnny Johnson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We're leaving Sunday on an extended trip to the southwest
> (USA).  We'll be spending some time in Colorado and New Mexico and a
> lot of time in Utah and Arizona.  I've researched the places that I
> intend to visit and photograph but was wondering if any list members
> have some favorite eating places that they'd recommend.  Some of the
> towns that we will be staying overnight in are: Grand Junction,
> Colorado; Green River, Utah; Torrey, Utah; Moab, Utah; Mexican Hat,
> Utah; Springdale, Utah; Page, Arizona and Chinle, Arizona.

We just returned from our annual cross country car trip to the southwest
that touched some of your spots. All these recommendations are for good
'on the road' food.

Eat at the Best Western in Chinle. We always used to stay and eat at the
Thunderbird in the park, but the Best Western is much better imho. All
the locals eat there. Try the (navajo) lamb stew.

Hope you're staying at the park lodge in Page, we didn't last year &
regretted it. The views from there are superb and the food is ok. I'm
sure you know it but you'll shoot thru all your film/memory on the boat.

Can't recall restaurant names in Moab but you'll find excellent food at
several places as it's a trendy/touristy type of town.

iirc, good luck for good food in Mexican Hat.

You'll probably take a pass thru the Grand Canyon. If you're doing the
south rim the motel in Cameron has good food. It's also a good place to
stay to get thru the park near sunrise and before the hoards. There's
also a motel down 89 a bit from there, but you'll want to eat at Cameron.

Have a great trip!

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)