[OM] Re: OT: Places to eat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Places to eat
From: gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:57:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Johnny,

In 2000 my wife and I spent the night in Mexican Hat.  Worst food and worst
motel I/we ever encountered.  Hope it's better now.  Given our route/itinerary
there was really no other town to stay in.

There's a state highway leading north westerly from Mexican Hat that after a
few miles begins to climb, via many hairpin turns, the face of a huge butte.  I
can't remember the highway number (I'm out of town for the week or I'd look on
my map) but I do recall that on the map it was indicated by squiggly lines and
as being unimproved--dirt, in other words.  Easy to drive tho-just watch out
for the hot rods, busses and tractor trailers.  It's the most direct route
between Mexican Hat and Natural Bridges Park.  Incredible ride up.  The
approach makes you think you're going to run smack into the butte's face wall.

Oh, there's a U.S. Highway that runs Northwesterly (If memory serves me
correctly it's the one we took from Natural Bridges to Torrey on the way to
Capitol Reef Park.)  For the longest stretch there is only one place to stop
for food/water/gas-it's a resort or dude ranch kind of place.  Since we weren't
staying there they would only sell us sandwiches and bottled drinks and gas
(thank goodness).

Have a great time.  I can't get enough of the Southwest -especially that low,
low humidity.  I really didn't want to come home to Atlanta.

Gary

Hi folks,

We're leaving Sunday on an extended trip to the southwest
(USA).  We'll be spending some time in Colorado and New Mexico and a
lot of time in Utah and Arizona.  I've researched the places that I
intend to visit and photograph but was wondering if any list members
have some favorite eating places that they'd recommend.  Some of the
towns that we will be staying overnight in are: Grand Junction,
Colorado; Green River, Utah; Torrey, Utah; Moab, Utah; Mexican Hat,
Utah; Springdale, Utah; Page, Arizona and Chinle, Arizona.

Thanks for any suggestions -
Johnny