[OM] OT: Toona and timber

Subject: [OM] OT: Toona and timber
From: "Toona" <toona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:08:53 +1000
Toona is named for the tree Toona ciliata. Not the pronunciation of the fish
(as in 'you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish'). The Red Cedar is a
Mahogany-type tree and timber (Meliaceae). Nothing to do with Cedars really,
except the smell of the timber...

I declare myself to be an biologist by trade (sometime photographer), with
an interest in trees and timber (not only its production from cutting trees,
but its qualities and use too). I live in Toona country and it was the
reason Europeans first colonised the rainforest, pushing up the rivers in
search of the 'red gold'.

It regenerates easily (unlike its close relative, the unkindly named Onion
Cedar, which was allegedly substituted for Red Cedar after soaking in rivers
to remove the onion smell). I have lots in my regeneration areas, either
planted or seeded from a 40-50 year old tree that must have been on the side
of the old road.

Beautiful timber (rich colour, light, strong), but really only in big old
trees (little ones are pinkish). That is my point: sometimes using recycled
timber is worth it for the colour and strength. Jarrah, Red Gum, Ironbark
are Eucs in this category.

Same applies to rainforest timbers like Red Cedar, Rosewood etc, although
these are not hard to work like an old railway sleeper. (The other way to do
it is incorporate them whole...I have old straining posts as structural
timbers in my house.)

Chances of getting the character and quality of old timber either means
recycling or cutting the natural capital of the few remaining OLD
forests...the last bit left before everyone is stuck with timber from small
trees. The frontier is shrinking.

Hypothetically, sustained yield is possible in SOME forest types, but is
geared to produce minimum size trees for cutting. Forget it in rainforest.

I was interested in the fact that Mountain Ash is sold as sawn timber OS.
Most of it is cut for woodchips and I suppose I thought we used the rest.

Tasmania is the rogue state on forestry and where most Mountain Ash is cut.
Forestry issues are much better resolved (after a struggle) on the mainland.
There has been a bit of recent movement in Tassie, with some areas such as
part of the 'Valley of the Giants' reserved.

The size and grandeur of forests still cut in Tassie makes me weep. It is
sobering to see 25-odd people on a tree stump. Second tallest tree species
extant, but the tallest tree species ever recorded (biggest now gone, but
taller than the Redwoods).

Please excuse the rant!

Nick

PS Spotted Gum is one of the better native-sourced Eucalypts, but supply is
not that great. Blackbutt production has got better with more reservation
and protections.