[OM] Re: OT Nikon sales attitude

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Nikon sales attitude
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:22:21 +0200
I think the loss of windows is from using the minolta dust reduction
option not the digital ICE option ( they are different things) , I have
only scanned  kodachromes and haven't noticed a difference in quality
except with scan times.

I agree that the V700 scan's probably do not match the minolta  5400
with or without multi pass  - I have an offer to test this - maybe I
should try this just out of interest. But I am guessing it will come
very close and also that most people do not scan at full resolution
because there is generally no need hence my reasoning that the v700 at
half resolution of 3200 dpi is better than the minolta at 2700 dpi. I
will have to check but I am pretty sure it offers multi pass scanning in
the epson scan software. Like everything in life though quality is at
the expense of convenience and most people these days are willing to
sacrifice a little quality for ease of use (digital slr anyone),
especially when you have hundreds of 35mm pictures to scan.

If I had a decent dedicated 35mm scanner I would not have bought a V700
for 35 mm but if I wanted to scan any other format I would buy one now
without hesitating and I would guess that due to the greater convenience
(12 mounted slides or 24 in film strips) over the 35mm dedicated scanner
the V700 would get used more and more and the dedicated scanner less
and less.

Flatbeds are the way forward now - epson has shown what can be done -
lets see how the others answer it - but by the time your 5400 bites the
dust I am betting the flatbeds will be matching it or bettering it in
terms of quality.

IanW

Who as a mac user who is finding it hard not going to comment on Walts
problem with moving to new hardware.