[OM] Re: Repair cost

Subject: [OM] Re: Repair cost
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:04:02 -0700
That might be a slightly cheaper than what I paid to the Olympus southern
California repair center. I think mine wasn't working after it kissed the
asphalt but I don't remember if I had tested it on my then new E-300 or if I
sent it in for repair along with the E-1 before receiving the E-300.
Interestingly :-(  it came back with more play than I remember it having
before the shock test. It seems to work fine fortunately.

If you send it in, be SURE to note on the form that you've included the
caps. Mine came back without the front cap!!! I had NO luck talking them
into sending one back to me.

They did a great job on the E-1. It looks and acts new but looked very ugly
when they received it.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "James Royall" <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>

My 14-54 took a knock to the front which has caused a little more play
in the front element than it used to have. I could at this point grumble
about 'er indoors not being careful, but I have to just take it as
learning the expensive way that I should be using a non-slip shoulder
strap.  I think this has caused some variation in focus as some tripod
mounted shots are a very slightly softer than others. Olympus UK say
their charge for repairing this lens is a flat rate £105, no matter what
the problem is. Seems that the one cost fits all would lead to
considerable over and under-charging depending on what the problem is -
works for the repairer, but not 50% of the consumers. Has anyone else
had to pay for repair on this lens anywhere in the world?

James