[OM] Re: More Great Olympus Odyssey Pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: More Great Olympus Odyssey Pictures
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:38:23 -0500
Greetings All,
        Thanks to all of you for the kind comments. What I most enjoyed
about the Oly Ody camera was that I hadn't picked up and used an OM body
since purchasing my E-500 last December. I know, that's a shameful thing
to admit, but there it is out in the open. I had great plans for the
images I would take, but they were scattered about the Tricounty area
and family obligations made them out of the question unless I kept the
camera for a month. Shooting on the local campus was my wife's
suggestion for which I am greatly indebted. It is a very photogenic
place and culling to the final four was not easy. The last to make the
cut was the dogwood image. I was very pleased with the composition, but
it was very soft. I had forgotten my tripod that morning and the
blossoms were in the shade with a bright background. The flowers were
about 15 feet above me. I metered on a gray card, then backed off a bit
by increasing the shutter speed so as not to blow out the higher limbs
in the background which were in sun. Even so, the shutter speed was only
1/30 second with the hand-held 200/5 wide open. The only way to hold it
steady enough was to lay flat on my back in the middle of the walkway. I
got some really odd looks from the students milling about between
classes.
        Moose, I considered taking you up on your offer to do some
post-processing, but I bit the bullet and tackled the job with PS
Elements. I initially let it do its automatic thing, then did it
manually which gave better results.

Charlie