[OM] Re: Repair cost

Subject: [OM] Re: Repair cost
From: "James Royall" <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:18:50 +0100
That works out to be just about the same - I'd expect it to be less in
the US. That makes me feel a little better, but it's still a lot to pay
out for one slip. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Domke strap
with grip, as I've been meaning to for months. When it happened I didn't
think too much of it - the strap had slipped off Leah's shoulder and
caught on her forearm, which then swung the camera into the door. So it
wasn't travelling too fast and hit wood, not like falling onto paved
ground. I thought the lens would be able to take that kind of knock, but
apparently not.

James

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:23:31 -0400, "John Hermanson"
<omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Olympus America charges $166 for basic service on the 14-54mm and $206
> if they think it's been abused in any way.
> ___________________________________
> John Hermanson
> Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
> 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
> 631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
> http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net
>

> James Royall wrote:
> > My 14-54 took a knock to the front which has caused a little more play
> > in the front element than it used to have. I could at this point grumble
> > about 'er indoors not being careful, but I have to just take it as
> > learning the expensive way that I should be using a non-slip shoulder
> > strap.  I think this has caused some variation in focus as some tripod
> > mounted shots are a very slightly softer than others. Olympus UK say
> > their charge for repairing this lens is a flat rate £105, no matter what
> > the problem is. Seems that the one cost fits all would lead to
> > considerable over and under-charging depending on what the problem is -
> > works for the repairer, but not 50% of the consumers. Has anyone else
> > had to pay for repair on this lens anywhere in the world?
> >
> > James

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx
  James Royall