[OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant

Subject: [OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:06:29 -0400
If you were prepared to buy an RD-1 the prices near $3,000 apparently
don't scare you.  So I'd choose option #5 (which I will do myself quite
soon)

Buy a Canon 5D from B&H at $2670 (2970 - 300 rebate).  Forget
CameraQuest since you can now get good quality OM adapters from ebay for
about $30.  Actually, when I went to get you a representative URL I
found 2 BIN items from the same seller.  One at $29.50 and another at
$19.50.  I couldn't pass the cheaper one up and went ahead and bought it
to add to my other adapter.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-OM-lens-Canon-EOS-body-adapter-10d-20d-5d-rebel_W0QQitemZ7614360618QQcategoryZ43479QQcmdZViewItem>

The problem with any other camera is still the crop factor and a
dramatic reduction in the selection of available lenses.  Since you're
into available light the 5D will dramatically open up your lens
selection since you've got the full Canon line plus the OM's and you can
even use Rollei, Nikon, M42, Leica R and Hasselblad lenses with adapters
which are available from the same seller for $10-35.

The 5D will not only open up your lens selection to include lots of fast
glass, it's also the high ISO champ so you get double relief from two of
your headaches.

The 5D's not exactly a svelte little rangefinder but it's only 6 ounces
heavier than the E-1.  By the time you add battery and lens the
percentage difference isn't that great.

I didn't like the Canon interface nearly as well as some other cameras
but now, after having used a 20D extensively and the 5D for a couple of
hours that I've gotten used to it and more comfortable with it.

Chuck Norcutt