[OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant

Subject: [OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:18:54 -0500
On 4/28/06, Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I'm Peter, and I am deep in the digital dumps.  :-)
>
> Seriously, I am a confirmed rangefinder shooter.  I also have an OM-2 and a
> few Zuikos.  I really prefer the look and dynamic range of film.

You can discount everything I say.  I'm a confirmed SLR shooter.  I
like the look of film but don't prefer it to straight-ahead pixels.

> Olympus changed the road map.  There are no fast digital Zuiko primes,
> except a 50/2,  which is too long for most indoor work. The OM lenses work
> OK, but only with stop-down metering. Metering  and exposure are off at
> widest apertures--in different directions.  Using a 28/2.8 as a normal lens
> is an exercise in frustration--I just can't focus it.  The 50/3.5 macro is
> wonderful.  So is my late-serial 50/1.4  But, due to some fluke of the 4/3
> design, the 50/1.4 only gives me a f/1.8
> worth of light at the sensor, so using it wider than f/2 is pointless. And
> it's a portrait/medium tele lens on the E-1.  Stop-down metering is a PITA
> except for static subjects.

Yes, my experience with the adapter is similar.  In a different
direction, I am struggling to get good with the DZ 50-200 and sports.
With AF on, my shots are a pig in a poke: no real composition possible
as you're just trying to follow the subject.  I have a lot of work to
do here.  Manual focusing is actually more successful, but the
one-stage zoom and focus of the Tamron 80-200 is far superior for
this.  I shoot fewer but better shots with the Tamron.

> I like small and light.  I realize the E-1 plus standard zoom is smaller
> and lighter than the better Canon and NIkon offerings, but it's a lot
> bigger an heavier than an OM or Leica and a prime.

In the digital world, given what the cameras are doing as compared
with the far greater simplicity of the OMs, I am quite satisfied with
the relative size of the E-1.  The comfort and handling are more
significant than size to me now.

> So, what would you do if you were me?
>
> 1.  Shut up and keep shooting film for now.  There's a digital Leica M in your
> future.  Start saving big-time.

Or at least keep saving for the Next Greatest Thing.

> 2.  Olympus is what it is.  Sell the E-1, along with your OM stuff, take
> your losses, and buy a used Pentax *ist body and 50/1.7 or 50/1.4.  Use
> it to satisfy your digital lusts until the digital RF of your dreams comes
> out, be it Leica, Zeiss, or
> Epson R-D2.

Not me. Sorry.

> 3.  Sell the  E-1, but get a used Canon 20D body.  Or one of the digital
> Rebels.  Plus a Canon 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 and a Katz Eye screen.  And the
> CameraQuest adapter for your OM lenses.

Did you say you had tried a Katz Eye screen in your E-1?  Might help
with the 28.

> 4.  Olympus will come through eventually.  Hang tight.  The new sensor
> in the Olympus E-330 shows promise. A Japanese Olympus executive did
> say recently that they recognize that primes are needed and they will
> come eventually.  Your 14-54/2.8-3.5 is a great lens, better than any
> other kit lens.  It will work well on a newer body.

My biggest dissatisfaction with the E-1 at this point is the measly
LCD.  But when the payload comes off the card, I forget about it.

> Sorry for the rant, but my frustration level hit some critical point this
> week.  Any thoughts?
>
> --Peter

I honestly don't know where an inveterate rangefinder guy finds
comfort in a digital SLR.  If you want high ISOs, I think Can*n is
your best bet.  If you haven't used a Katz Eye in the E-1, you could
give it a shot.  Good luck in your decision, Peter.

Joel W.