[OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant

Subject: [OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:53:58 -0400
AG, I'm accord with all of your points but #5.

IMO, prints should be sized based on where and how they will be viewed.  In
certain situations, big works.

I like to shoot family portraits.  When they include a number of people, a
large print, (e.g., 20"x30") makes sense when it's framed and placed on a
large enough wall.  Pix that include numerous family members are also easier
to see when printed large.

Also, in our area most of the new homes are huge.  We call 'em
"McMansions".  They've got a lot of wall space and some of those walls are
indeed "mega" sized and just begging for large prints.  I'm happy to oblige.

Do my pix "deserve" to be prominently featured?  In general, probably not.
But they have a lot of meaning to the families so their value is relative --
literally.  And as we all know, proper viewing distance for large prints
should offset the flaws that inevitably get magnified.

Also, the cost of large prints used to be prohibitively high.  The Internet
opens the doors to a lot of competition so prices have fallen and, in my
experience, quality has improved.  I can offer better larger prints for a
lower price than I could five years ago.  Win-win.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1

#5. Size is no excuse for poor photographs. This "megaprint"
> mode we're in right now is ludicrous. Over the years, I've sold
> far more art prints in 5x7 and 8x10 sizes than 11x14s or larger.
> If the composition is strong and the subject is interesting and
> well-presented, a small print is usually just fine.  If we're
> really honest with ourselves, we can count on less than one hand
> the number of pictures we've taken that truely deserve the
> prominant position behind the livingroom sofa.
> SNIP!

AG