[OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant

Subject: [OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:42:22 -0400
I think I've made this same point before but perhaps in a different way.
I think Olympus viewed the E-1's sensor and the likely near term
improvements as equaling or somewhat exceeding 35mm film up to ISO 800
and were happy.  They saw the competition as their own and other's 35mm
film cameras.  They didn't think outside the box far enough to see that
others could take modest sized digital sensor performance beyond 35mm
film.  Neither did they realize that the competition using their own
35mm mount diameters could replicate Oly's "telecentric" designs using
small sensors.

What they've ended up with is a smaller sensor than anyone else which
will forever leave them at some performance disadvantage.  They also
chose the 4/3 format on the basis of matching the aspect ratio of a TV
or computer monitor screen.  They evidently weren't watching their
HDTV's or the emerging wide screen laptops.

Chuck Norcutt

  The E-1 was conceived