[OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant

Subject: [OM] Re: My Olympus DSLR rant
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:55:44 -0700
I agree with you about the PITA of using an adaptor. To sort this out
I think you have set some priorities. You want low noise at high ISO,
you have decided small size is not anything, and you want access to
good primes that do not use an adaptor.

Let me add my own prejudices. 1) I would not buy a used digital
camera. They are just too complex to know what you are getting
without a warranty unless it was from a trusted friend and really,
really cheap. 2) I would not start saving for something that is not
out yet and has not been reviewed. I waited two years for the E-1
after its announcement before I gave up. When it came out it was an
expensive 5MP camera in a cheap 6MP camera world. Been there. Done
that. The RD-1 is expensive, has a short rangefinder base limiting
you to normal or wide angle lenses. Scratch the digital rangefinder
for now.

Pentax. Has primes but behind in other technologies like image
stabilization. Has poor noise control and only the promise of further
development. Pentax has been technically static since their first
digital model came out, just repackaging the same camera. I am not
optimistic about its future even with the merger.

Canon. Has primes. Digital noise is superbly  controlled across the
whole line. Up to the minute technology in lenses and cameras. Not
going away. The inexpensive models are nearly as small as an OM.

Nikon. Has primes. More high ISO noise than Canon, but much better
than Pentax. The inexpensive D50 is the exception and is actually
better than some of the Canon models for noise. ISO 800 would not
present a problem for any Nikon. More conservative and not as quick
to add new technologies as Canon, but quicker than Canon to update
lenses for digital. Very nice ergonomics. Not going away.

So, if I were you, and I know I am not, I would get an inexpensive
Canon or Nikon, pick up a couple of used autofocus primes and have
fun. I have used two Nikons and have no trouble with manual focus,
but don't feel I need to use it often.

Viewfinders. Be sure you are looking and handling the camera in a
real camera store and that it has a charged battery. The LCD overlays
for the viewfinders make them look dim with no battery and you will
get a wrong impression if you just pick one up and look through it at
one of the super stores.

Buydig.com seems to handle a lot of factory refurbished cameras at
good savings. I am very happy with my Oly C-7000 zoom purchased there.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA