[OM] : Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] : Re: Mamiya
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:03:41 +1200
Scott wrote

> I understand this, but I don't 'get' it.
>
> I like looking at old photo albums and value the few pix my family has from
> the
> past.  I was told the families on both side were too poor to afford cameras
> and
> what prints we have were given to them by other people.
>
> However, NONE of the children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews has any
> interest in them.  At first I was surprised, then appalled, then depressed,
> then
> intrigued.
>
> Why, I wondered, don't they care?  I asked and discovered that what their
> forebears looked like isn't particularly interesting to them.  We have pix
> to show that one grandson was almost a twin of his uncle when each was a
> year old.  That elicits a shrug from said grandson.
>
> And maybe that's fine.  Just because I enjoy the old pix doesn't mean they
> should.
>
> Will social historians have to find other tools to use for their research?
> Maybe, though I'd be surprised if NO prints survive into the next century.
> And of course books and magazines will likely be well archived around the
> world.
>
> Seems to me this is important only if one cares about it.  Old farts like me
> come out of an era when making pix was special.  Now they're so pervasive
> they're taken for granted.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> ScottGee1
Not missing a thing, according to me.

I am working on organising a family reunion for 6,7,8 October 2006, and have
a web-site up.

Many of the photos I am working with are 100+ years old, silver halide prints.
Negs long ago lost.

When we have our reunion, we will be making family history. I am doing my
darndest to make sure we take important shots with silver halide and print
them on that, and i have a preference for medium format.

100 years from now, people will stand a good chance of seeing some of
those shots. The last reunion was 43 years ago. Too long; and most of the
prints I see from it are somewhat torn.

I propose mounting these.

Brian