[OM] : Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] : Re: Mamiya
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:15:56 +1200
Hi all,

Chuck wrote

    http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/Feb-2-06.html

> See the third item down:
> Jathan Edwards (Imation): Distinguishing an Archival Grade Optical Medium
>
> Chuck Norcutt
> >
> Bill Pearce wrote:
>
> >>They should all start to educate folks on the danger of losing their
> >>digital images.  That could markedly increase the print business if
> >>people really understood how vulnerable their digital images are
> >>(including all their other digital files).  I'm afraid that 50 years
> >>down the road we'll find there's a paucity of amateur images available
> >>from this period.
> >
> > My sister is a college librarian at one of the largest college libraries,
> > tenure, full professor, lots of administrative responsibilities, and the
> > ability to direct several areas in the humanities. She is very concerned
> > about
> > this. It appears that in that realm, you are either pushing digital full
> > force, or resisting im a big way. Not a lot of middle ground. The ones that
> > are concerned are mostly focused on this potential loss.
> >
> > Bill Pearce

It seems to me that this approach is very blinkered. They are not even
considering proven CD writing technology that as far as I know is well proven
to be long-lasting.  And I notice that "Mama" company are not mentioned.

Has anybody in this forum heard of music CDROMs failing through code/dye
deformation in a period of 3 years?   Five years?   Ten years?

I don't have any music CDs, I'm still using vinyl records, but even so I'm sure
I'd have heard of it if the failure rate were so chronic.  Not to mention
unacceptable.

What's the difference?

Music CDs are PRESSED, as far as I know. Pits are PRESSED into the CD
medium, whatever that is.   Not written into some semi-molten dye layer of
organic materials, which, in my opinion, like plastic, can never be
permanent.  Even the plastic of the base substrate is suspect.

That is the way to go for longer-lasting CDs.

A smart company would blow all the current CD technology right out of the
water is they could develop more portable CD pressing technologies.

And so what, if the machines each retailed at $5,000 - $10,000 in any
currency !!

If the methods worked, there'd be customers. Let's face it, people are
prepared to pay megabucks for home/office printers to make images on
paper.

This matter of electronic archiving, especially of images, is a serious matter.

My 10 cents ( you choose the currency).

Brian