[OM] Re: : Re: Mamiya

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: Mamiya
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:05:45 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:
> considering proven CD writing technology that as far as I know is well proven
> to be long-lasting.  And I notice that "Mama" company are not mentioned.

That would seem odd - except that Imation is a competitor of MAMA. I
haven't read it, but if he mentions Phthalocyanine dye, that is the
Mitsui patented dye that MAMA uses.
> Has anybody in this forum heard of music CDROMs failing through code/dye
> deformation in a period of 3 years?   Five years?   Ten years?

I've never had that happen, but there have been reported incidents where
batches with flaws have failed prematurely and/or individual CDs have
failed through bad handling/storage. The pits aren't going anywhere from
age alone, but the reflective coating that makes them work my be
improperly formulated, bonded, etc. and improper sealing can lead to
oxidation of the reflective layer. Also, the pits are actually very near
the top of the device and may be damages by mistreatment of a part most
people think of as safe.
> I don't have any music CDs, I'm still using vinyl records, but even so I'm
> sure
> I'd have heard of it if the failure rate were so chronic.  Not to mention
> unacceptable.
>
> What's the difference?
>
> Music CDs are PRESSED, as far as I know. Pits are PRESSED into the CD
> medium, whatever that is.   Not written into some semi-molten dye layer of
> organic materials, which, in my opinion, like plastic, can never be
> permanent.  Even the plastic of the base substrate is suspect.
>
> That is the way to go for longer-lasting CDs.
As a business idea, who knows, it might fly. As a technical matter, I
suspect the MAMA CD-R media will last as long or longer.

Moose