[OM] E500 Manual Mode Issue

Subject: [OM] E500 Manual Mode Issue
From: ALI <oly-zooko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:38:29 -0500

Not sure if this came through the 1st time:

Hi.

This evening I took the E-500 along to a cultural event and intended to
shoot in
manual mode using the FL-50. The 1st photo went off without a hitch. Then I
proceeded to shoot photo's of my daughter and the lens would not focus. I shot
the photo anyhow thinking that it might be slow due to low light, however the
photo was completely blurry. I took another and still blurry.

Checking the camera's display I noticed the shutter speed was
displayed, however
no aperture. Instead I saw a -5.0 blinking and a line of dots with a plus and
minus on either end. The 2nd row of dots (underneath the 1st row) pointed
towards the negative (minus) so much so that a red arrow displayed indicating
that I had selected something beyond what is showing on the screen.

I played with every setting thinking I had pushed a button someplace and still
nothing.  I powered the camera on and off, I removed the battery, etc...that
darned -5.0 would not go away and no aperture showing (just two lines and dot
in place of the aperture). Finally after much of the event had passed - I
powered the camera off and I dis-mounted the lens, powered the camera on
without the lens - then powered the camera OFF and re-mounted the lens. This
reset the camera and the aperture returned. Trying a few more tests in
manual -
the camera did the exact same thing. In other settings - auto - shutter
pri and
aperture pri - the camera seemed to function properly.

I also removed the flash from the camera and set the camera to manual.
The -.50
reappeared, however the lens did focus and there was an aperture showing. I
will re-test this again to make sure I wasnt just seeing things in the
auditorium.

Needless to say I became very agitated and missed some shots.

Is there a problem with the camera/flash/lens? Did I do something wrong? Was
this due to low light?

Thanks.
- Ali