[OM] Re: CD's & DVD's

Subject: [OM] Re: CD's & DVD's
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 19:43:00 +0000
My first gig as a TV news photographer/writer was with a station that also had
both AM and FM radio operations.  The AM was easy listening (yuck), and the FM
was classical (small doses only, please).  This was in the early '60s.  The
music director was first violinist in the local symphony orchestra and filtered
what should and should not be played accordingly.

Fortunately, the music library was right down the hall from the news
department, and both AM and FM operations were just across the hall.  Harry
(the music director) would put all the good albums, i.e. rock, folk, country,
and jazz, the stuff he wouldn't allow to be played and that came in by the
boxfulls, on a table just inside the library door for anybody who wanted this
"not proper music," as he called it, to claim for their own.  As a result, out
of the 1500 or so vinyl albums still in my possession, at least 300 are "demos"
from 1961-1965.

I've got a couple of albums that Harry first thought might have a cut or two
worth airing, but them obviously changed his mind and decided they weren't
worthy, so all the cuts except the one or two he thought might be playabe have
a big "X" scratched through them.  (Harry took no chances with maverick DJs.)
These albums are, of course, unplayable, but I have kept them as a memento of a
really funny, if somewhat opiniated and narrowly-focused, little man.  He's
just one of more and more folks from my past I'm starting to miss in my old
age.  :-[

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from