[OM] Re: CD's & DVD's

Subject: [OM] Re: CD's & DVD's
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Pearce wrote:
> When CD's were in their infancy, they were expensive. Very
> expensive, if you are an impoverished public radio station,
> like the one here.

Biggest problem with these low-budget p.r. stations is that they
tend to not fire anybody. There is the "sales manager", (you
know the guy responsible for finding "underwriting") that is a
lush and manages to bring in a whopping $1200 per week. But
since he's a sacred cow, the place continues to suffer.

Don't get me started on the federal funding cutbacks thanks to
"you know who".

> Theft is always a consideration where students are around.
> Solution? Use one of those vibrating electric engravers to
> put your call letters on the lable.

I had one of those "doh" moments when inscribing a CD right
around the hole when I bumped the table with my leg. Oh well.

Record companies are constantly giving away CDs to radio
stations (particularily those stations that ASCAP report). The
common thing they did was to drill holes through the case near
the corner. This showed that it wasn't "retail".  Well, some
four-braincelled moron with a drillpress would drill too far in
on the CD case and actually drill through the CD. Not normally
an issue, since the average CD costs you $18 but has only five
worthless songs on it--hardly enough to threaten having data
more than half an inch from the index track.  So, in the player
it goes. At that time, most stations were using Denons with CD
holders, but a bunch of stations were automated or
semi-automated and used these big honkin 600 CD-Changers.  One
model had a high-speed "read-ahead" buffer.  If you accidently
put one of those drilled CDs in there, it would shatter!  Well,
in one of those CD-changers shards of CD would go sailing
everwhere and get stuck in some mechanisms as well as knocking
some other CDs out of position. The Changer would then try to
"park" the busted CD and retrieve the next one (there were
actually two players in these units for segueing between songs),
but with the CD's out of place and shards everywhere the arm
would proceed to wipe out about 50 CDs before finally jamming.
This, unfortunately, would happen somewhere around the world
every week.  Repairs ran anywhere from $2000 to $6000.

The transition to hard-drive music storage and retrieval
couldn't happen fast enough.

I found that people in TV were only a slight bit more
intelligent than Radio people.  The Production world was another
story, though.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com