[OM] Re: #084

Subject: [OM] Re: #084
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 08:03:36 -0700
The 135/4.5 is a very sweet lens. I was quite surprised (especially after
your long search) to see KEH has a couple in Ex condition for just under
$200. It's still not cheap when you add in the cost of the the auto
telescoping tube but it makes a very nice general purpose + macro lens.
There isn't too much to directly compete with the 135/4.5 on an OM. Some
list members have posted some very nice pictures using either 180mm or
longer Zuikos with an extention tube that were very nice.

The background in Graham's image was somewhat similar but no where near as
ugly as what I've "accomplished" at the nearby baylands. The vegetation is
at times a combination of greens, browns, and oranges. While trying to
capture a bird, I may have the aperture too wide to keep the background
sharp but too slow to completely blur the background.

As is often the case my response to your post was in part because of other
things I was thinking about that were related. The real estate photos taken
with the 5D surprised me with their bokeh. I talked briefly with the photog.
He used a fairly long C*non zoom but "not top of the line". He's not a gear
head.

I'm glad you stirred things up Fernando.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Completely agree, Jeff. Might add a couple of details to stir things up a
bit, but IIRC can be found in the archives (regarding the 90/2, not the 135
4.5 which I feel has been rather neglected, but I might be wrong of course).

Thanks for answering.

Fernando.

on 3/05/2006 12:53, Jeff Keller at jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

 > Perhaps it's just a matter of getting familiar with the lens ... the
shorter
 > focal length of the 90 requires a wider aperture than the 135. Both the
90
 > and 135/4.5 are very nice, with the two stops faster aperture of the 90
 > giving it an edge IMHO.
 >
 > I like being able to see the background in Graham's image. Photos with
the
 > background completely blurred can also be nice, but seeing a plant in its
 > environment often has longer appeal to me. Also as a photographer,
Graham's