[OM] Re: any opinions appreciated

Subject: [OM] Re: any opinions appreciated
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 17:13:11 -0600
At 04:42 PM 04/05/2006, you wrote:

[snip]

>Cropping advice needed on this one. I have looked at this one quite a while,
>but can't see any way to crop it to salvage a good picture. Obviously the
>window ledge of the vehicle needs to go, and probably the light pole. I
>wanted to include the flowers and the vertical rockface though, but I don't
>see how to keep that without the stupid cows walking out of the picture. To
>me there is way too much useless space at the top of the picture, and I
>don't see how to get rid of it and keep a good ratio picture.
>http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/989644/1/67823089

Wayne:

Well, this is what I did with this one:

      http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/wayne01.jpg

There's nothing fancy, just a crop.  I didn't care about "proper
ratio."  I rather like the ratio I've imposed on this picture with
this crop -- it makes the occupation of plowing the land look
"dangerous," with a vertiginous drop off to the lower left.  If it
genuinely makes the viewer feel that working the land in Bolivia is
fraught with peril, then if this was my picture, I'd feel that I did
what I wanted to.  To me, the bulls look like they're struggling to
get away from a drop that's perilous.

Haven't really thought about the other two pics yet.  Don't know if
I'll be able to do anything with them that would make *me* feel good,
much less *you*.  ;-)

Garth