[OM] Re: Creativity, Photo funk, etc. [was Workout - Day 1]

Subject: [OM] Re: Creativity, Photo funk, etc. [was Workout - Day 1]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:49:16 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> FL27,
That's one of the three where I combined two images shot at different
focal points to get greater effective DOF. Not that sharp stamens are
all tha important, but fuzzy blobs would be distracting.
> SC17 and FR11 were my favorites, SC17 being a big favorite with its
> simplicity of composition.
That one just knocks me out. I also know it's good because my son, who
is a talented graphic artist, asked for a print. He never criticizes my
photos, and often says he likes some of them, but almost never asks for
a print. Interesting, though, that it took a monumental 'act' of art by
someone else so I could capture in that particular light, etc.
> I was mesmerized by FR11... maybe due to the
> contrast of the the curves presented by the art piece and the many diagonal
> straight lines framing the subject.   Beautiful light also.

That one wasn't all that easy, but worth extra effort. It's part of a
balustrade on a busy stairway from the 20s, so I had to wait for a quiet
moment, then squat down. Fortunately, I had just enough lens coverage
and enough close focus to frame and focus. The light was a really mixed
bag, some diffuse natural light bouncing around from the room with the
frescoes below, some tungsten from hanging lights in that room and, the
saving grace, natural sky light from a big window above to the left at
the turning of the stairs. That's what gave the wonderful modeling to
the shapes. The light from the hall behind/below (the hall to the
bathrooms!) had to be toned down in post to reduce distractions.

Thanks for the comments,
Moose