[OM] Re: Shooting into the light

Subject: [OM] Re: Shooting into the light
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 02:39:57 -0700
swisspace wrote:
> I was taking some pictures last week at my mother and father in law's.
> My father in law is into  photography but more into making  16mm movies,
> anyway after a glass or two of pure welsh whiskey (yes it does exist and
> is remarkably good - probably the welsh water) He said that I should
> shoot towards the sun to get the best from the light.

Was that him or the whisky (or do they spell it like Americans in
Wales?) talking?

Certainly there is good light and good images to be found shooting in
the general direction of the sun, but there are also more shooting
across or away from it.

There are quite a few shots taken 'into the light" in the gallery I
recently posted, but I knew going in that some wouldn't work out and
others would need quite a bit of post processing.
> here are four flower examples - sorry not OM all taken with E1 and
> 14-54mm. I can see now though I need to get a lens hood for my 21mm
>
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/67765477-L.jpg

This is certainly lovely, hardly shot into the light.
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/67765462-L.jpg

This one could certainly be turned into something very nice, see the
example below.
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/67765471-L.jpg

This is nice. Now we are getting into an area that continues to
fascinate me, light and shadow through the petals of a flower. It could
be adjusted to heighten the glow.
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/67769555-L-1.jpg

This is pretty extreme looking, but almost certainly salvageable into a
nice image, especially if it was shot in RAW. I took a little stab at
it. Don't look too closely at the details; there are artifacts from
working with a small, compressed, 8 bit image. But I think it shows
there is much more there than at first meets the eye
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/InLight.htm>.

Moose