[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed
From: RMcFet <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:27:48 -0400
Fernando
How stable is the electricity (ie brown outs and fluctuations) in
Uruguay? I have family in Bolivia and have spent time there and the
power is not always as stable as would be desired. They too use Macs
but they are also plugged to APC units.This is a good reason to to stay
with better brands. I don't know the quality of the unit your friend
has but older and unknown brands are a higher risk. Even where I live
in a rural environment (Canada) we get significant changes in power. I
keep my computers plugged to backup power that keeps the electricity
clean.
Dell has one of the best service warranties I have ever seen. A friend
worked in Madagasgar for a few years and when one of his newer Dell
units went out he sent it to Dell and they express shipped a new unit
without a question to him. It was the only one that fried but Dell
stood by their product.
Bob