[OM] Re: RIP Rodinal? was [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17

Subject: [OM] Re: RIP Rodinal? was [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 22:51:58 -0600
> "Back as if it never went away, now being produced by the German chemical
> manufacturer a&o." according to http://www.silverprint.co.uk/chem15.html

  Or, for anyone feeling chemically brave, according to "The Darkroom
Cookbook":

  - - - snip - - -
Solution A
  Water (52c): 750ml
  P-Aminophenol hydrochloride: 100g
  Potassium metabisulfate[1]: 300g
  Cold water to make up to 3000ml

Solution B
  Sodium hydroxide: 50g
  Cold water: 100ml
  [will generate heat when being made; must leave it to cool]

  Allow solution A to cool. A precipitate of p-Amenophenol hydrochloride
will form. Slowly add, drop by drop, solution B to solution A until the
precipitate almost disappears.

  Do not dissolve all of the visible precipitate! Leave a few crystals
undissolved (as few as two or three). If this is done properly, the
remaining crystals will dissolve of their own accord, and the developer
will, in time, turn deep dark brown. However, the unused stock solution
will last for several years. Use as you would Rodinal
  - - - snip - - -

  Note: I haven't tried this myself, but I couldn't resist the book..

  -- dan

[1] Apparently, normally you can substitute sodium metabisulfate for
potassium bisulfate, but not in this particular recipe