[OM] Re: in-camera image resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: in-camera image resolution
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 13:56:35 +0200
Op 6-mei-06 om 13:29 heeft Chris Barker het volgende geschreven:

> Iwert
>
> That's interesting, but I have the following to add, perhaps in
> clarification:
>
> 300ppi is really the best image resolution for an image file that you
> wish to print; that is, if I have A4 paper I want to fill (for
> instance), the image should show a size of around 280 x 195mm when
> set to 300ppi.  If I use less than that it might look poor in print.
>
> But once I have pressed Cmd+P and set the print media, my printer
> (1290) will not print at less than 720dpi (in the print dialog) with
> certain printing surfaces.

indeed, that is where the confusion starts, let's look at what really
happens:

program: I wan't to print this image at high quality
printer: wel choose at least 720 dpi then
program: but my image is only 300 dpi!
printer: no problem, I'll print it at 720 anyway
program: how is this possible? I only give you 300!
printer: yes, and what you give me is 300 square pixels per inch, which
I can't use anyway, since i spit round pixels, which aren't pixels
really, they are droplets, so I'll have to translate your pixels into
my droplets anyway, and I rather translate 300 in 720 then 720 in 720,
they don't match anyway, you give me 300 pixels in red green and blue,
and i have to translate them in 720 in cyan, magenta yellow and black,
and my more sophisticated nephews even have six coulours to translate
to, I have completely independent algorithms. So please, don't give me
too much to translate, really 300 dpi is ok, don't worry!

> And if I use 720 instead of 1440 on some
> surfaces the finish is "dotty".  Ilford heavyweight glossy paper is a
> case in point; I got it cheap and it didn't take long for me to find
> out why.

program: but sometimes I see these little dots on the paper?
printer: that is because my inks don't like the paper that well, as you
thought already!

> I have learned 2 things from experience: if you have to increase the
> dpi you're using the wrong printing surface/media; and use only the
> best printing media.  [I know, they're both the same ;-)]
>
> Now your wife might be using professional standard machines, but I
> have the setup for both my Epsons (old 750 and less old 1290)
> suggests this procedure.  Are you still saying that I am wasting ink
> and that I should force my Epson to use 360dpi, whatever the media?

printer: first: you are not wasting ink, I use as much ink (+/-) in 72,
144, 360, 720, 1440, it is just a different size in droplets
second: I'ld rather use 720 or 1440 dpi of my personal resolution,
since that gives the best quality. But from approx 300 dpi INPUT my
OUTPUT doesn't differ anymore. Less than 300 dpi INPUT will degrade my
Output, but only really from 240 or so on!

Hope this sheds some light!

Iwert.