[OM] Re: Screen Profiling

Subject: [OM] Re: Screen Profiling
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:34:55 +0100

> OK, I'm about to grab a Huey, but there's a little thing I wanted to
> make sure before doing so: Does the software provided also hand out
> ICC profiles or does it only work when the software is loaded? (I
> also want to be able to profile the screen and use it on other OSs.)
> I know that the continuous adjustments won't work, but I can do those
> manually when needed.

I don't know if the Huey works the same way as the Spyder 2. The Spyder
2 has a profile loader that is run at startup and *reprograms* the
graphics card to get close to the selected gamma etc ( I assume to
correct for the monitors inaccuracies). Certain operations in the
control panel of my Matrox G550 reset the card with a considerable
change in brightness, gamma and white point. I then have to use the
profile loader to reprogram the card again. So although you get an ICC
with the Spyder 2 the ICC is NOT that of the monitor its that of the
reprogrammed graphics card and monitor pair. This is why the Spyder will
not work with certain operating systems/graphics cards and will not work
if there are two monitors attached to the same graphics card because it
can't do the reprogramming.
summary
for Spyder 2 the ICC profile is the reprogrammed graphics card and
monitor pair. If you don't use the loader program the ICC is not a good
match for the unprogrammed graphics card and monitor pair. - the ICC by
itself is useless without the reprogramming of the DAC/colour lookup table

James