[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:48:41 +0100
Thanks Steve.

That's a shame; diesels are rewarding to drive.  The only thing I
miss is the sweet sound of a hig-revving petrol engine, but high revs
and hard braking are gross wasters of energy so I wouldn't enjoy it
any more.

I worked out that my 2-litre diesel (common-rail technology) gives me
around 48mpg (40 US), but that's on day-to-day commuting on small
roads with much stop and start.  On a long run I get 53 mpg (45 US)
and with a particulate filter and low emissions that assuages my eco-
guilt somewhat.  Working from home would do that even better ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.