[OM] Re: Black M-1!

Subject: [OM] Re: Black M-1!
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 11 May 2006, David Carter wrote:

> "SAMPLE" Would this be because it doesn't work properly. And as in not
> for sale, shop display item only.
>
> I am also drooling.

I'd be cautious when bidding on this item.  Without being able to examine
it closer it is difficult to say whether or not it's genuine.  It does
seem a little strange that a black body M-1 which is supposedly an
engineering/marketing sample has survived for 30+ years in near mint
condition.  And why is it that we can see wear on the knobs but no wear
on the black paint?  Also, why have we never seen any other OM body with
the "SAMPLE" designation?  For a price tag of nearly $3K I'd expect to
have answers to those questions before parting with any cash.
                                        -mark