[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:20:47 -0500
Chris Barker wrote:

> Thanks Steve.
>
> That's a shame; diesels are rewarding to drive.  The only thing I
> miss is the sweet sound of a hig-revving petrol engine, but high revs
> and hard braking are gross wasters of energy so I wouldn't enjoy it
> any more.
>
> I worked out that my 2-litre diesel (common-rail technology) gives me
> around 48mpg (40 US), but that's on day-to-day commuting on small
> roads with much stop and start.  On a long run I get 53 mpg (45 US)
> and with a particulate filter and low emissions that assuages my eco-
> guilt somewhat.  Working from home would do that even better ...

Chris, I understand completely -- I drive a diesel myself. It's a
Volkswagen Jetta Wagon in the U.S. and Canada, but the rest of the
world knows it as the Bora Variant or Bora Estate. My record mileage
is 53 mpg on a highway trip with four people aboard -- none of whom
knew the car was a diesel until I told them. I love the flat torque
curve. I also love the mileage. With my driving, I fill up only
every three or four weeks. It's almost an event. :-)

Oly content: I don't believe I have ever taken a picture of my
diesel with an Olympus camera. Gotta fix that....

Steve