[OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp

Subject: [OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:31:08 +0100
Hard to tell from your image, Ian.  Distinguishing feature of a hornet is
the presence of three simple eyes placed between the two large compund eye,
plainly visible in this image:

http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/hymenoptera2socialwasps1_files/image0
16.jpg

The size and the body markings may indicate a hornet rather than a common
wasp, as you can see from other images on the page with the associated
article at
http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/hymenoptera2socialwasps1.htm which
suggests that hornets are less aggressive than wasps, which is not what I
had expected to read!

There is a useful illustrated taxonomy at
http://bugguide.net/node/view/35661 but you need to keep in mind that over
there wasps are called yellowjackets.  The latin names will help, look for
vespa crabro (hornet) and vespula vulgaris, vespula germanica (common and
European wasps)

But in your place, I think I would not take any chances - good luck.

--
Piers