[OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp

Subject: [OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 06:31:30 -0600
At 02:14 AM 12/05/2006, IanW wrote:

[snip]

>Any suggestions on humane ways to put them permanently to sleep, the wasp
>spray didn't seem to make the first one very happy.

You don't wanna hear the "special" ways I put these guys to
sleep.  They're evil.

>Also is it just a male hornet or are they  queen of some variety.
>googling hasn't provided me any answers yet
>http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/69133793-M.jpg

This looks like a yellowjacket or "carrion" wasp to me -- they're
endemic around Calgary in the late spring through early fall.  They
become much more aggressive towards humans as the season progresses,
because their natural food sources start getting scarce (late July
through mid-September time frame).  By early August, unless you've
destroyed all nearby nests, they make having a barbeque outside damn
near impossible.

I use three or four of these guys:

http://www.scottscanada.ca/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/D988629DF48EFBE9F68E4E7D637C6F4F

to start killing them, early in the season.  These traps also work on
hornets.  If you get 'em early enough, they won't be able to sustain
a large enough population to remain viable as a nest.  Keeps your
problems down in August/September.

If you've got 'em indoors, particularly with a baby around, I'd show
zero compunction about killing them, if I were you.  Last thing you
want is for your baby to go into anaphylactic shock from one (or
more) wasp stings.

Garth