[OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp

Subject: [OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 19:43:07 -0700

> Any suggestions on humane ways to put them permanently to sleep, the wasp
>spray didn't seem to make the first one very happy.

Might be a yellow jacket but can't tell for sure from the photo. A
yellowjacket queen is usually much larger than the workers. This time of
year the queen will crawl out from whatever hole she over wintered in
and set out in search of a nesting spot. I would think the bug spray
more hazardous to your child than the bug you are trying to get rid of.
I simply scoop them up with a piece of paper and deposit outside. They
are voracious scavengers and will also take mosquitoes and termites
right out of the air and so perform a useful service. They usually nest
in the ground or other crevice so check the immediate area. A board over
their entrance will usually suffice to get rid of the nest if too close
to the house.Otherwise I just let them alone.  In late summer and fall
they become more aggresive and can be annoying at a barbecue sometimes.
Usually some bait in the direction of their nest will distract them and
they won't come as far as your food. Just get the direction right! Note
the "bee line". Paper wasps tend to be much more likely to sting but
won't come after your picnic!.

mike