[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 21:56:08 +1000
Small diesels are rare here too but turbo diesels are a common option
for large 4WD's (SUV's). With a compact, saving 30% of fuel costs is
almost insignificant and often not worth the cost of alternative fuel
options.  But with petrol running at 125-140¢ litre and diesel at
just below 140¢, the saving with a large vehicle is substantial. Oh,
and Oz fuel is very low sulphur but I can't understand why distillate
(diesel) is not a hell of a lot cheaper than ptrol given that it's a
pretty crude material - didn't Rudi develop the engine to use virtual
waste product.
However, we also have the option of LPG (butane/propane mix) widely
available an those who seek real savings retro-fit 'real' gas in a
dual fuel configuration and is environmentally preferable (low
particulate, etc., but high CO2 I think). Most taxis run on it
exclusively and fleet vehicles (Ford for certain) have an LPG version
engine and fuel system available OEM at a small additional cost. The
yield is reduced (70-80% of distance per km on a dual tune) and it is
more difficult to manage but at 35-45¢ litre, there's a 2-3 month
waiting list at any conversion shop. The price is deliberately held
low to encourage usage by the simple expedient of not levying any
excise on it!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx