[OM] Re: OM1 light meter

Subject: [OM] Re: OM1 light meter
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 12:09:35 +0930
At 3:35 AM +0200 2006.05.14, Manuel Viet wrote:
>there's another unpleasant possibility (that happened to me) : the thin wire
>feeding the meter from the cell can be either unsoldered or "rotten".

And that's exactly what happened with mine. I think it is reasonably
common. Symptoms were intermittent operation of the meter for a few weeks,
then it just gave up. Following Murphy's Law, it gave up while I was on a
short trip to Sri Lanka using it to document some places I visited. So it
was guessed exposures for a while.

> I don't
>know why, but I noticed that mercury cells kind of 'burn' the copper wires
>even if they don't leak.

Yes. It my case, it was a $30 repair, because the corrosion hadn't progressed
far down the wire. But if as you say it goes back to the contact there is
much dismantling to be done. In that case, I suspect a full service would be
the best way to go.

regards
  Andrew