[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 15:20:26 +1000
Made from food?! What's wrong with waste? As I remember, US
agriculture is extraordinarily greedy of conventional forms of
energy. It already consumes more fuel energy than the food energy
produced, a negative investment, so making it from a crop would be
socially and environmentally disastrous - only govt. subsidy would
make it profitable.
One of the problems with this is that such fuels may be made from
potential foodstuffs (inc. animal feeds) or use land that could
produce foods - and the world is a little short of nutrition. Here
petrol/ethanol blends are available but the ethanol is made from
sugar cane wastes. There was an African project I remember that made
alcohol for fuel from the giant water hyacinth that clogs the Congo
waterways - a win-win situation.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx