[OM] Re: Little Paris gallery ; OM-1, FP4+

Subject: [OM] Re: Little Paris gallery ; OM-1, FP4+
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 15:13:32 +0200
Le dimanche 14 Mai 2006 10:53, Moose a écrit :

> A few clues: With normal situations, my Curves adjustments are generally
> a smooth S curve. With a couple of these, the curve looked more like a
> worm, wiggly, with more than three control points. I never use the
> Contrast control for anything but to compress the whole histogram to
> leave room at top and/or bottom for other adjustments. Contrast is
> adjusted with Curves and LCE, although I did little of that here.
> Central gray point and black and white points are set in Levels.
>
> The most significant tool used for your images was the Shadow/Highlight
> tool in PS. There are other ways to do what it does, but they are WAY
> harder, and probably never quite as good. I always work in 16 bit. The
> kind of major changes I did to these shots would probably look pretty
> odd, if not simply bad, if done in 8 bit. You can't push things around
> that much in 8 bit without getting stacks and holes in the histogram.

So, I went back to my desk, and made this :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/m-viet/cdevaux.jpg
(some constructions marks are intentionaly left).

In fact the most salient problem I had was with my scanning technique, or I
should say in the way the engineer wrote the driver. Your advice on contrast
was an eye opener, so I dug google to see general tips of others, and bumped
into a board where I had a clear explanation of the difficulties I was
facing.

It appears that some scanners like my epson have dumbed down controls, and are
tweaked in software to give "pleasant" while false results. Much like some
digital cameras silently apply corrections while saving to jpeg. So what I
was looking for was a kind of "raw" mode.

The trick that was given was to scan the negative as a positive slide, to
avoid the driver cutting the black point too high in the tonal range. The
black point is set too high to remove the own "grey" of the film. That's what
I did, and suddenly, I had a clean histogram, without blacks pilling up at
the left after inversion. I did then a couple of adjustments, and tadaaa !...

--
Manuel Viet