[OM] Re: Little Paris gallery ; OM-1, FP4+

Subject: [OM] Re: Little Paris gallery ; OM-1, FP4+
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 02:31:22 +0200
Le dimanche 14 Mai 2006 07:42, Chris Barker a écrit :

> Thanks for that information.  I understand, also, that it is more
> difficult to take photographs of people and publish them, owing to
> the law of privacy in France.

It is ; especially children, to the point that many pro photographers gave up
shooting single child portraits. When I was at school, a photog would come
down once a year to take a group picture of the class, and individual
portraits of children for parents to buy after if they so desired. But no
more ; now, they should make sure that parents did allow the portrait before
they take it. As it was more or less based on impulse-buying (I see my child,
I buy the pic), it doesn't really work any more, so that's a big loss of
revenue, and times being hard for pros, it's not at all welcome.

But sometimes, you can make interesting encounters; this guy :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/m-viet/gnongouri.jpg
actually begged me to take his picture. He has a wonderful collection of
portraits of him taken by tourists and wanderers, and from the look of them,
I can tell you he selects the photographers (probably by the look of their
gear, and he wasn't set back by that good ol' OM-1). He told me some prints
were sent back to him from as far as Japan. But for the safety of it, I
actualy have a contract that allows me to use the picture as I see fit in
exchange of a print.

> And reading the French parts of your message makes me want to visit
> France again, soon.  Perhaps we will do the Canal du Midi again ...

There's really two France : north and south of the Loire river. It's too hot
for me down there, I'm more a north-east man. But the region I praise above
all is little brittany. The light is... wonderful.

--
Manuel Viet