[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 20:06:33 -0500
Andrew Fildes wrote:

> [Biodiesel/ethanol] Made from food?! What's wrong with waste?
>> As I remember, US agriculture is extraordinarily greedy of
> conventional forms of energy. It already consumes more fuel
> energy than the food energy produced, a negative investment, so
> making it from a crop would be socially and environmentally
> disastrous - only govt. subsidy would make it profitable.

There are _so_ many better processes which could be used to make
these alternative fuels (for instance, using algae to create
biodiesel). But we're also talking about processes which are in
their infancy. I don't doubt that, if researchers and engineers had
as long to improve the yields and refinement of biodiesel and
ethanol as they've had for gasoline, their production would be much
more efficient. Heck, some of the older diesels can run on straight
vegetable oil. Their fuel does not have to be of such high quality.

Steve