[OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:48:44 -0400
That was one of my complaints with the 5D, because the finger grip
edge is too rounded, it places extra force on the thumb, which tires
quickly. I have had to modify my approach to holding the camera to avoid
problems, mostly by allowing it to dangle when not in use, and using
my left hand support when shooting. The grip is not good and why others
have not complained is probably because they don't know what they
are missing.

There will always be improvements to technology to up the performance.
I predict that future enhancements will be in the noise performance and
dynamic range. Our eyes do a lot to smooth over grain and noise in photos.
If I take a picture of a solid blue screen or sky with the 5D, the result is
not solid blue, but has variations and non-uniformity. Noise is the main
problem with Oly cameras also, so there is hope.

For me the holy grail is the viewfinder, which is the reason I shoot SLR's
and not rangefinders. The main reason the 5D has magic for me is the full
frame sensor and more viewfinder. While dirt and dust are probably the worst
issue with the 5D, then the grip. And I have determined some dust is
behind the AA filter. The other cool thing about the 5D are the raw file
sizes and faster raw viewers for them. Battery life is also good.

I think the real reason the Canon grips are so poor is so photographers
will think they have to have IS lenses because their hands shake too much.

So, I don't know what you are apologizing for? Tools do matter.

I did try the OM-EOS adapter ($19.95 + $10 shipping). Not sure it is all
that practical, but certainly doable.

WayneS - on the light side of dark.