[OM] a few pictures

Subject: [OM] a few pictures
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:45:02 -0300
>From the recent thread on cars, I was reminded of this taxi that we took
from the airport in Sucre, Bolivia. The driver is a friend of ours, and this
car is his only way of making a living. His annual income isn't as much as I
make in two weeks. I guess I was just thinking how fortunate I am to be
driving a new Vibe.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/921462/1/69686056

For those in the countryside, buying a car is just not a possibility. Most
wouldn't make enough in a lifetime to buy even a decent used car. This is
their usual way of travel, when they do get to ride rather than walk.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/921462/1/69686063
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/921462/1/69686067

I've posted a few other pictures of some of the roads we travelled on in
March. Here one of the Quechua men who travelled with us is chucking a good
sized rock off the road. It had obviously fallen just before we arrived,
thankfully not just when we arrived.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/921462/2
Here they are trying to position a steel grate to fill in a hole so we can
pass over on it. A heavy shower on the mountains can make these places
impassable in about 20 minutes.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/921462/2/69756419
Some of the other pictures are of places where we had to do some road work
with pick and shovel, or use winches to pull out a bottomed-out 4x4, or in
some places we could just leave the road and travel in a field for a ways.

Wayne