[OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:49:20 -0700
Thank you,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>

I'm not sure yet where the dust comes from. The fine dust may simply
be camera innards for all I know. Metal particles, etc. The big dust
probably comes from changing lenses. The worst time I acquired the fine
stuff was after my camera had been in the hot car and I then took some
pictures, leading me to believe it might have been camera lubricants.
Since then I never leave the camera in the car on a sunny day and I
have not had that degree of trouble. I still have trouble though.

The fine dust particles are highly static or liquid?? and are not fibrous
in appearance. The big dust seems to come off easily with the CO2
Duster. If they are liquid it may explain why the VisibleDust brush does
not help.

The Visible Dust review on this site:

http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_SensorBrush.htm

Claims the brush improved things, but look at the smeary stuff
still there after using it. I found it just moved stuff around. I actually
tried
an art brush before buying the visible dust brush and I could not
tell any difference between them as far as cleaning ability. The fact the
PecPad + methanol works so well may be because the fine stuff is lubricants
or who knows what.

WayneS