[OM] Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]

Subject: [OM] Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:58:45 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> He was especially misfortunate because he thought his
> sensor was clean but his viewfinder was driving him nuts ... so he ended up
> making a mess of everything.

A great deal of damage in this world is caused by not entirely rational
compulsions. Also a lot of wasted effort. I used to live with a woman
who did animal rescue and hummingbird rehab. She insisted that the
little fountain on my back deck needed to be kept very clean for the
health of birds that drank from it and bathed in it. That thing is
really heavy and awkward and excessive cleaning was starting to affect
the surface.

So, being the lazy bum that I am, after she was gone, I cleaned it a few
times, but the time between cleanings got longer. So guess what? After a
certain point, the buildup of algae and whatever gets large enough to be
attractive to Jays, and gets cleaned off slick as a whistle - with no
effort on my part at all - and I'm feeding the birds.
> I'm hoping to reach the correct conclusions from the adventures of others.
> Boring can be good.

I'm with you! Anticipating possible dust issues with the 5D, I did some
cruising on the web and found this post on the dpreview forum about
experience with the SensorBrush vs. something I had never heard of,
SensorKlear from the folks who make LensPen
<http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=18259725>.
Sounded worth a try, and besides, I'd been thinking about trying a
LensPen, so I ordered both. They are rather inexpensive compared to many
of the other solutions and their site, lenspen.com, has free shipping.

Now it is sitting here waiting for a sensor to clean.

Moose