[OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 06:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
This discussion of anti-static things for sensors and stuff has
other real world applications too.  I've fought dust in the
darkroom and when scanning slides for years.

I used one of those static-brushes that is designed for brushing
dust off of negs.  Worthless.  I got a couple of those orange
anti-static cloths and that actually worked pretty good, but
would scratch negatives if you didn't clean them often.

Those regular bulb-blower style lens/negative dusting brushes
have been more bother than anything.  For every blob you
removed, you added 12 others.

The cans of dust-off would blow away the big stuff, but it would
statically charge the negative or slide so that it would just
suck every last spec of dust out of the room and onto your
image.

Ok, what if...

I now take the dust-off and blow the dusting brush.  You know
you've got it charged when the bristles all are wide and free
from each other.  Just lightly brush the negative or
slide--barely touching the surface.  The brush will pull every
last speck off the film.

Amazing.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com