[OM] Re: Hi-res shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi-res shootout
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:00:47 -0700
Chuck you need to re-route that 5D, you don't really neeed it   ;-)

I completely agree that some very nice pictures can be made with "low"
resolution capture.

I didn't see it this time when I quickly scanned through the old web page,
but I do remember there were originally some comments that the author was
surprised by how his lens (which was thought to be fairly good) was
significantly out-done by a new Schneider.

But ... these guys are taking landscapes with the intent of printing large.
It would appear that 4x5 Velvia has significantly more than enough
resolution. A good lens on a medium format 6x9 might accomplish what they
were happy with and getting ? The ease of manipulating (bleach etc) a larger
sheet of film may be the only reason for 4x5 lasting this long?

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>

One of my watershed moments in being skeptical of digital was a
beautiful 8X10 portrait taken with a 1.3MP point and shoot. It was
then that I realized that all of the arguments using math, counting
pixels, and not looking were a crock.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA