[OM] Re: Hi-res shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi-res shootout
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:02:28 -0700
But it is "natural" to just position the back parallel to the plane of the
scene for perspective correction, then tilt the lens for DOF. A 35mm SLR
wouldn't really need them to be separate. If it were only the tilt/shift,
roll film backs and good lenses would replace sheet film? Maybe it's just
that the experienced experts like the tool and stick with it?

I've never shot sheet film, so it appears to me the ability to manipulate
each image (zone system, bleaching, etc) is the "only" value it has provided
for many years. I guess you can argue that there aren't that many lenses
geared for 6x9 roll film on a LF style camera. Even medium format cameras
mostly ignored the tilt shift.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>

Don't forget the wide range of tilt and shift controls you get with a
large-format camera.  Can't do that stuff in 35, even with a tilt/shift
lens, as you still can't tilt/shift the film plane independent of the lens
plane (well, not without breaking your camera).

Steve Troy